Director of Operations
Posted August 13, 2021
About the Pope Francis Center: Pope Francis Center exists to provide meals, supportive services, and housing assistance to Detroit community members in need, especially those experiencing homelessness. On an average day, we welcome nearly 200 guests and provide them with nutritious meals, showers, laundry, and access to doctors, dentists, lawyers, and housing providers through our free clinics. We have been serving Detroit’s most vulnerable citizens for over 30 years, and we envision a Detroit without homelessness, where every person has the resources for sustained stability.
Position Description: The Director of Operations reports to and works closely with the Executive Director and collaborates with the entire leadership team. This position is responsible for all aspects of accounting, finance, and budgeting, as well as human resources, legal, and other administrative responsibilities.
Educational Requirement: Bachelor’s degree in finance, business, organizational management, or related field; Master’s degree (MBA, MPA, CPA, or related) preferred.
Experience: 3-5 years relevant professional experience, ideally including broad financial and operations management experience. Experience working in a nonprofit setting is preferred.
- Strong communication, organizational, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
- Ideal candidate has experience with maintaining quality and content of financial data, reporting, and audit coordination, and has preferably overseen an HR function previously
- Ideal candidates will have experience with QuickBooks or similar accounting software, Raiser’s Edge or similar CRM software, Paycor or similar HR management software, and Google Workspace..
- Ability to set priorities; keen analytic and strategic organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to multitask and succeed in wearing many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Ideal candidate will have knowledge of issues surrounding homeless and/or at-risk populations
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of the Pope Francis Center
Financial Management & Human Resources
- Manage the financial actions of the organization, including tracking cash flow, budgeting and accounting, and financial planning
- Manage accounts payable, bill payment, donation depositing, and preparing monthly financial reports
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process
- Coordinate and assist with the annual budgeting process
- Maintain accounting software, including data hygiene and accuracy
- Reconcile QuickBooks and Raiser’s Edge quarterly
- Manage all Human Resources activities, including onboarding and offboarding, maintaining employee handbook as needed, and coordinating benefits
- Conduct annual background checks
- Process payroll, PTO, and employee benefits
- Facilitate annual performance appraisal process
- Prepare and distribute 1099’s to contractors annually
- Update and implement all necessary business policies as needed
Board of Directors
- Act as Board Liaison and staff contact for Finance and Governance Committees
- Prepare and distribute board packets before quarterly meetings
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the Board
- Develop and implement operating procedures
- Implement a robust contract management system with outside entities
- Assist with Bridge Housing Campus planning and capital campaign, as needed
- Assist Executive Director with special projects, as needed
- Support program staff, purchasing supplies and coordinating clinics as needed
- Facilitate annual insurance review
- Database management in conjunction with Development team
- Collaborate with the Development team as needed (editing, data gathering, etc.)
Compensation & Benefits: Pope Francis Center offers excellent salary, medical, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, paid time off, and additional benefits through the Michigan Catholic Conference. Our administrative offices are located in the GM Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit.
To apply: Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Pope Francis Center is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace. We do not discriminate based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, or any other applicable protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.