Posted August 13, 2021
About the Pope Francis Center: Pope Francis Center exists to provide meals, supportive services, and housing assistance to Detroit community members in need, especially those experiencing homelessness. On an average day, we welcome nearly 200 guests and provide them with nutritious meals, showers, laundry, and access to doctors, dentists, lawyers, and housing providers through our free clinics. We have been serving Detroit’s most vulnerable citizens for over 30 years, and we envision a Detroit without homelessness, where every person has the resources for sustained stability.
Position Description: The Program Director is responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the Center, supervises Center staff and volunteers, develops relationships with guests, and oversees community outreach. This job is accomplished through the individual’s ability to work as a team member, manage others effectively, and leverage the skills of staff and volunteers. This position reports to the Executive Director and collaborates with the entire leadership team.
Educational Requirement: Bachelor’s degree
Experience: 2-3 years of relevant work experience and/or training, including personnel management. Experience working with a homeless service agency preferred.
- Strong communication, organizational, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work compassionately with diverse populations of people with varying degrees of substance abuse disorder, mental illness, and physical disability
- Ideal candidate will have experience working with homeless and/or at-risk populations
- Ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of the permanent supportive housing process and rapid rehousing
- Ideal candidate will have experience with HMIS and Google Workspace
- Ability to work collaboratively and solve problems as a member of a team
- Ability to function well under pressure in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multitask, be flexible, open, and responsive to crisis management
- Ability to deescalate tense situations and mediate conflict resolution as needed
- Ability to work early mornings and partial weekends as needed
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of the Pope Francis Center
- Manage the Center during the daily four hours of service from opening to closing
- Supervise program staff and volunteers, ensuring smooth operation of guest services
- Develop, maintain, and enforce Center policies and procedures
- Identify guest needs and provide immediate assistance as needed
- Supervise crisis intervention, referrals, behavioral management, and housing assistance in collaboration with Center staff
- Maintain order and a peaceful environment for up to 150 guests and 15 staff and volunteers
- Maintain accurate programmatic documentation such as data logs, case notes, and incident reports
- Provide guests with a peaceful experience during their visit
- Treat guests with love, honor, dignity, and respect
- Diffuse tense situations and resolve conflicts as needed
- Provide emergency aid to guests in crisis as needed
- Take disciplinary action or dismiss guests who violate Center policies as needed
- Supervise and support smooth operation of shower and laundry facilities as needed
- Supervise and support distribution of food, hygiene items, etc., as needed
- Delegate and manage Center supply levels, coordinating pickup and/or delivery of supplies and donations as needed
- Delegate and manage janitorial and facilities services as needed
- Train volunteers as needed
- Facilitate weekly staff meetings and participate in leadership meetings
Networking and Community Engagement:
- Hire, supervise, and maintain records for Jesuit Volunteers
- Work with neighboring outreach programs to collaborate on services
- Work with clinic providers to coordinate supportive services for guests
- Develop relationships with donors, partners, and major stakeholders as needed
- Liaise with parish staff, law school, police, fire department, and security
Other duties, as assigned by Executive Director
- Must be able to walk up three flights of stairs
- Must be able to lift at least 25 lbs.
- Normal range of hearing and vision is required in this position with or without correction
- Must be able to work in a loud environment with background distractions and frequent interruptions
Compensation & Benefits: Pope Francis Center offers excellent salary, medical, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, paid time off, and additional benefits through the Michigan Catholic Conference. Our administrative offices are located in the GM Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit.
To apply: Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Pope Francis Center is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace. We do not discriminate based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, or any other applicable protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.