GIVING TUESDAY (Nov. 28, 2023): Thank you for giving our guests the gift of warm layers, hygiene products and other essentials! All items can be sent to the Center (438 Saint Antoine St, Detroit, MI 48226) or dropped off in person. Staff will be available at the Center on Tue. Nov. 28 until 5pm to accept donations.
If dropping off donations in person, please knock on our side door located on Larned St. Parking is available in the UDM Law School parking lot (see map here). If you’d like to drop off donations in person but can’t meet on this day, please see our regular drop-off times below.
Thank you so much for thinking of our Detroit neighbors experiencing homelessness! Without your generosity, our work would not be possible. Please read these instructions carefully before donating items to us.
What items can I donate?
We gladly accept the following items:
- New and gently used clothing (shirts, pants, sweaters, jackets, coats, shoes, boots)
- New underwear (underwear, socks, sports bras, t-shirts, thermal underwear)
- Travel-size hygiene items (soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, hand sanitizer, shaving cream, razors)
- Blankets, sleeping bags, backpacks, hand warmers, toe warmers, hats, gloves, scarves, mittens
- Any items featured on our AmazonWishlist (these ship directly to the Center!)
- Gift cards for Amazon, Target, Meijer, Costco
Please be thoughtful as you prepare your donation. Here are some questions to consider:
- Will this be practical for our guests?
- Will this fit our guests? Most of our guests are men and most wear sizes L, XL, and 2XL.
- Is it worn out, stained, ripped, or otherwise not in good shape?
- Would you want to wear or use this item? If the answer is no, we wouldn’t want our guests to either.
What items can I not donate?
- Used underwear or socks
- Dress clothing (suits, sport coats, dress pants, button downs, high heels, etc.)
- Children’s and small-sized clothing, toys
- Canned goods, books, household items
- Hand-knit hats and scarves
How should I prepare my donation?
- Wash and fold any used clothing items.
- Sort any hygiene items (We no longer give out pre-packed hygiene kits. We like to let our guests choose what they need!)
- We prefer when items are packed into a box. They are easier for us to store that way!
- If you require a donation receipt for tax purposes, please include your name, email/address, and an itemized list with your donation.
When can I drop off my donation?
- Our donation drop-off times as of November 2022 are Tuesday through Friday from 11:00am to 1:00pm.
- It helps our small team to know when to expect donations—please call 313-964-2823 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know when to expect you.
- If you are unable to drop off donations during these hours, contact us to arrange another time. We’re happy to accommodate your schedule!
Where should I drop off my donation?
- Our address is 438 Saint Antoine St, Detroit, MI 48226.
- Donations should be dropped off at our back door (parish office entrance) on Larned Street.
- Upon arrival, please ring the doorbell on the back door or call 313-964-2823—a staff member will assist you as soon as possible.
- Note: we are able to coordinate donation pick-ups in the Metro Detroit area on a case-by-case basis. If this is preferred, please contact us to get started.